The Nightmare of the X84 bus

The blog which tells you how often the X84 bus messes up my life

Thursday, February 16, 2006

I recently wrote to my MP (via WriteToThem) with my concerns about Firstbus and the outrageous prices they charge. Here is the reply I received:

Public transport in Leeds

Thank you for your email. I have had a great deal of correspondence in the subject of buses in Leeds recently, in particular in light of the Government’s decision to turn down our Supertram bid.

As a result the Council group are currently deciding what may be done with the money set aside to fund part of the Supertram (the local contribution element), and as part of this, you may already be aware, Superbuses have been discussed. Hopefully this would be a slight improvement on the current provisions but by no means is a satisfactory conclusion in my opinion to the transport problems of this city.

I am currently backing the campaign for a re-regulation of bus services, meaning that they transfer out of the control of private companies and into the hands of the local authorities. This would mean Councils could choose routes, fares and could subsidise necessary services where possible. I believe this would make a difference and will be calling for this to be a real option. I have also been liaising with the West Yorkshire Passenger Transport Authority on this subject and will continue to do so.

Many thanks for taking the time to highlight your concerns with me, I hope you will feel free to do so in the future about other issues.

Yours Sincerely

Greg Mulholland MP
Member of Parliament for Leeds North West


I must say re-regulation of the buses sounds like an excellent idea. I've always been against privatisation of public transport. Private companies, such as Firstbus, are really only out to make a profit, they don't care about their passengers.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:18 am, Blogger Martin said…

    Yes, re-regulation is a must for Greater Manchester and West Yorkshire. GMPTE and Stagecoach have both made noises that they support this idea - you never know, it might just happen!

     
  • At 12:13 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I depends what happens, I March 2006 issue of Buses magazine, there was something the Nexus (Tyne & Wear PTE) and SYPTE (South Yorkshire PTE) have shwon a lot of interest, if I'm right they want to see about other operators in the area, and it can be possible, only if there is Government approval, though I did hear as much as the government want it, it may not happen.
    I know Stagecoach attacked the GMPTE as the LTP, doesn't benefit much for buses, and applaud Stageciach for the great ideas in Manchester such as Park & Ride and double-decker articulates (bendy buses Laymans terms), First and Go-Ahead group oppose it. In West Yorkshire I think Metro should also see about bus Park & Ride, as in some areas rail and ride is useless, as it can be a distnace away!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home